Like humans and animals, pests also prefer the
1. Use Plastic Containers: Always pack edible items and other household items in plastic containers or covers. Do not use cardboard or paper bags because these provide a comforting place for insects to hide in. They are also easily penetrable.
2. Dispose Off Garbage: Keep garbage sealed in air tight bags and have them disposed off regularly. Dump the garbage bag in the bin outside your home instead of keeping it in the kitchen.
3. Mesh Screens: Cover all openings, including windows, doors, chimney vents etc with fine mesh screens. The will prevent pest infestation while also insuring your home gets the ventilation that it needs.
4. Fix Wall Cracks: Check your home meticulously for any wall cracks or holes that are potential living areas for bugs. Most importantly check the areas surrounding water pipes and other fittings as with time the moisture around the pipes cause cracks and attracts all kinds of crawlers. Seal the cracks and mend any openings.
5. Clean Cabinets: Every once a month, clean wooden furniture and cabinets as these are the places that crawlers love to live in. You must pay special attention to kitchen cabinets and bathroom furniture and any corner of the home that is dark and warm. Spray the cupboards with pesticide and make sure there's no spider web or eggs lying around.
6. De-Clutter Your Home: A cluttered home is a bug's paradise. These creatures simply love cramped furniture and household items which is why the attic is also one of their favorite places. Throw away unneeded boxes, old clothes, furniture and newspapers or books. Keep your home neat, clean and clutter free. If there's no place for them to hide, they wouldn't be interested in invading your home!
7. Pet Cleanliness: Keep your pet as well as your pet's abode clean and hygienic. Do not let them litter around and always wash pet food dishes daily. Store all pet food in air tight containers and wash their bed or blanket frequently.
8. Clean Up the Yard: Litter, trash and soil or garden debris are attractive for insects. Do not let mulch or weeds get near your home's foundation and mow the lawn frequently. Keep your garden or backyard clean.
9. Use Pest Repellant: Keep a repellant handy and spray it weekly to prevent pests from entering or residing in your home.
10. Call an Expert: If despite manual efforts you cannot curb this problem at home, then you should seek professional pest control services. Call in experts to make your home pest free and a healthy abode.
You don't have to wait for winter to take up these preventive measures. Perform these throughout the year and hopefully your home would be clear from all kind of insects and bugs.